Sunday, August 24, 2014

BOOK REVIEW: Ugly Love by Colleen Hoover



image
Review excerpt:
This book exhibits all kinds of love.
Love disguised as lust.
Unconditional Love.

Ugly Love. Ugly Love is a book that talks about love: finding love, falling out of it and being able to discover it again. And yet, the circumstances in the book has made me confused and has left me full of "what-ifs".

Title: Ugly Love
Author: Colleen Hoover
Genre: New Adult, Romance
See on: Goodreads

Buy from: Amazon ll iTunes
CARS 2
When Tate Collins meets airline pilot Miles Archer, she knows it isn’t love at first sight. They wouldn’t even go so far as to consider themselves friends. The only thing Tate and Miles have in common is an undeniable mutual attraction. Once their desires are out in the open, they realize they have the perfect set-up. He doesn’t want love, she doesn’t have time for love, so that just leaves the sex. Their arrangement could be surprisingly seamless, as long as Tate can stick to the only two rules Miles has for her.
Never ask about the past.
Don’t expect a future.

They think they can handle it, but realize almost immediately they can’t handle it at all.
Hearts get infiltrated.
Promises get broken.
Rules get shattered.
Love gets ugly.
CARS 2
In all honesty and sincerity, any book that Colleen Hoover writes is like crack to me. I just have to read them.
HAVE TO HAVE TO HAVE TO HAVE TO.
So when this came out, I just need to get my hands on it.
And finish it til the end.
And that I did, in two days tops (because of school work and all that).
This book..
With all sincerity and honesty...
Is one that I didn't like that much.

Tate Collins needs a place closer to her school and work. It just happened that her brother, Corbin, is close enough to both.
The night she moves in, all she wants to do is to settle in.
Too bad the guy lying drunk in front of the door would stop her.

Of all the book boyfriend-worthy characters of Colleen Hoover, I haven't warmed up to Miles. At all.
It felt like he's just one of the many guys in the NA world.
I just couldn't see myself being in the same room without doing bodily harm to him.
I couldn't connect with Tate as well. Ms. Hoover's female protagonists are usually feisty, ones who bite, ones who don't let anyone step on them and I guess, that's what I'm missing with Tate.
If I were her friend, I'd be slapping some sense into her and punching Miles along the way.

The character I like the most in the book is Cap. He's the one who's there to listen to both characters, acting out as a father figure for both of them. He was my breath of fresh air while reading this book. 

By the end, I was left feeling confused and full of what-ifs.
What if circumstances were different?
Was it really love between them?
Or did Tate just awaken something dormant in Miles?

And most importantly,
How do you define love?
CARS 2

3 reads

CARS 2
I love to write and I love to give away things that I write, so follow me on my Facebook author page at 
I give away a signed book every single day. This month, it'll be copies of UGLY LOVE!



7 comments

  1. I haven't read any of Colleen's books but I've heard great stuff! Haven't yet tried any NA books but if/when I do plan to, I'll start with Colleen Hoover! Sorry you didn't like this book as much. It sounds interesting though. I always like hate-to-love type stories. Did you like her other books? I've heard good things about Slammed and Hopeless.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your review! It's so straightforward. I have an ebook copy of this but I haven't read it, at least not everything. I did read some parts after seeing some mixed reviews (mostly not so good). I was intrigued because I love the Slammed trilogy so I took a peek... and well, I wasn't impressed. After seeing your review, I might not read it all. I don't like characters who let others step on them. I think this kind of love is not just ugly, it's unhealthy!
    p.s. I think we already talked online before... was that in Read Philippines?
    Joy @ The Bookshelf Intruder

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Annie! Thanks for visiting my blog ^^
    Yes, I absolutely adore Colleen Hoover. I love the way she writes as well as the stories because it serves as a break from the usual "broken" characters permeating the books these days. Colleen's characters in the previous books don't feel "too broken" that it appears unrealistic (for me).

    With this book, however, I felt like they were just one of the ordinary characters you commonly read about in NA. If you do read NA, you'd see the patterns, lol.

    But! I highly advise you to read her other books (Hopeless, Finding Cinderella, Slammed trilogy, etc). You'd be laughing and tearing up a little by the time you finish them. :)

    Hope to see you around again. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Joy! Yep, I think we already talked in Read Philippines before :)

    Exactly! That's what I love about Colleen Hoover's characters from her previous books. Her girls wouldn't let others put them down. They'd put those people in their places.

    And I quite agree with you on the "unhealthy" love instead of ugly. Because, what made it an "ugly love"?

    I would love you to read it though so we can discuss (ehem, rant) about it. lol.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hahaha! Yeah, I'd still get to read it. My goal now is to not buy new books until I finish everything on my shelf (including Ugly Love) so yeah, I'll get to it. I'll definitely let you know what I think. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ooh, I'll wait for you to read it :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I get what you mean about the broken characters! I recently read Pushing the Limits and kinda felt the broken character thing was very exhausted in that book. It wasn't unrealistic per se but it also didn't sit quite right with me for some reason.


    And thank you for the recommendation! I'll be sure to check them out! :)

    ReplyDelete

© raves and reads
Maira Gall