Friday, March 13, 2015

Feature Stop: A Different Kind of Fine by KK Hendin Review

A Different Kind of Fine (Twelve Beats in a Bar #1.5)
by K.K. Hendin
Romance, NA, Military
See on Goodreads

Buy links:
Amazon:  http://amzn.to/1MWsGT0
B&N:  http://bit.ly/17iWEk0

Happily Ever After is never as easy as it seems…

Hayley’s finally come back to Texas, and seeing her is everything Nate dreamed it would be. But three years apart means that everything has changed between them, and all the things that broke them up in high school have come back to haunt them.

Nate’s barely recovered from the explosion that lost his leg, part of his eyesight, and his entire squad. Being able to spend a week back in Leland was supposed to help him recover, yet all it has done is make everything worse. Everything still seems like a threat, nothing is safe, and Nate’s nightmares are only getting worse. His survivor’s guilt is crippling him, and ruining his relationship with Hayley. He loves her more than anything, but she deserves more than a broken man slowly losing his mind.

Being with Nate again is all Hayley’s wanted for the past three years. But reality isn’t exactly like her dreams. Nate’s fighting demons he brought home with him from Afghanistan, and Hayley’s scared that she’s not enough to help him fight them. When an unexpected ice storm and road trip stumble into their Christmas plans, Hayley and Nate are both forced to face their pasts and the unknown future.

It’s a love story that has spanned four years, over seven thousand miles, and countless YouTube videos, and it all boils down to a seven hour road trip.
 


MY THOUGHTS
I've always thought that the only Romance book that would make me cry was this.
It turns out I was truly, completely, sincerely, utterly wrong.
Because A Different Kind of Fine has ripped my heart right out of me, broken into little pieces but was mended, returned right back and is still beating.

The book picks up after what happened in "Come Back to Texas". After several months and years of being apart, Hayley and Nate finally got together. But, will they be able to go back to the way things were? Would they want to?

I honestly love this book than the first. (For my review of the first book, click this sentence). I love both characters. I love how real and raw their feelings are. It also helps that I get to see both Hayley and Nate's side. Both sides give the story a better perspective on both of their lives and their different views on their relationship. What truly made me love them both is how, despite their faults, the hurt they've caused to each other, they still find a way to make things right. Basically, I just love the whole book. Period.

The build up of the story was amazing. The tension, the love, the fear, regrets, everything, was felt gradually throughout the story until the very end where the emotions just topple over one another, resulting to me being a well cried-out mess.

Here are some excerpts that had me clutching my chest and just letting the tears fall. And as I'm typing this, I'm trying my best to not let my tears fall.

"You're not broken, Nate. You're bruised a little, and that can be fixed. You may not be the regular kind of fine yet, but that's okay. Nobody's asking you to be yet. Nobody's expecting that from you."

"Then what am I aiming for now?"
"A different kind of fine," I finally say.
"What kind of fine is that?"
I shrug. "I don't know. A Nate kind of fine. The kind that makes the most sense to you."
Nate's eyelids are drooping. "You're too damn smart for your own good, sunshine."
I smile. "Not really."

Not to mention the overwhelming terror that I'm not good enough for Nate. That someone else would be better suited for him, someone else who would know the right things to say, and know the right things to do to help him. I'm just a mess of concern and self-doubt and love.
God, so much love.
So much.

It just goes to show that relationships need not be perfect; it just takes a different kind of fine to make things work out.

I SAY...
ABOUT THE AUTHOR


KK Hendin’s real life ambition is to become a pink fluffy unicorn who dances with rainbows. But the schooling for that is all sorts of complicated, so until that gets sorted out, she’ll just write. Preferably things with angst and love. And things that require chocolate. She’s the author of the NA contemporaries HEART BREATHS and ONLY THE GOOD DIE YOUNG.
THIS MUCH SPACE is the second book in her new series, TWELVE BEATS IN A BAR.
KK spends way too much time on Twitter (where she can be found as @kkhendin), and rambles on occasion over at www.kkhendinwrites.blogspot.com.

AUTHOR LINKS:

5 comments

  1. This sounds like such a beautiful read...I'm definitely putting this on my TBR! Lovely review!

    By the way, I nominated you for the Versatile Blogger Award! I thought you deserved it because your reviews are so amazing and whole-hearted! Thank you so much for doing what you do!

    Here is my post: http://booksoffascination.blogspot.com/2015/03/versatile-blogger-award.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello!

    I nominate you for the versatile bloggers award.

    http://weirdkim.blogspot.com/2015/03/the-versatile-blogger-award.html

    Have a great day! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you so much for reading and visiting the blog. Tell me what you think of it once you've read the series. And thank you for nominating me as well! I'd get to answering it when I can. :)

    ReplyDelete

© raves and reads
Maira Gall